Prophecies Awakening

Prophecies Awakening  - Peter Koevari I was given a free copy of the book by the author himself, in exchange for an honest review. And an honest review you’ll get! I landed on 3.5 stars, with the benefit of the doubt, rounding it up to 4.

This is a classical good vs. evil fantasy book with an abundance of magical creatures. Dragons, elves, vampires and knights in shining armor – you’ve got them all. Though I have to admit I found the presence of vampires a bit disturbing. Guess it’s because to me they’re more connected to the more “modern” fantasy stories.

There is a lot to be said about this book. First of all: the story itself is great, starting off with a brilliant, vividly depicted prologue that set my expectations really high. Unfortunately, except the description of She’Ma’Ryn, this is the only part of the book where I really felt the wow-factor kicking in.

The book is made up of short action-packed chapters starting off with a quote from various characters in the book (I really love the quotes). However: There’s a lot of action, and not much of anything else. Every opportunity of character/world building is skipped in favor of another fast-paced action-filled event. To me this book is more like a draft than a finished book. It has great potential, and I would love to see it re-written in the future (again), but this time doubling the number of pages with the character and world descriptions the author occasionally shows he’s capable of.

As of now there are too many logical flaws and gaps in the timeline that were close to driving me nuts while reading the book.

Like the time-issue. The way the book is written, you immediately get the impression of the events happening over a short period of time. And then, all of a sudden, Vartan is a master at casting spells (he didn’t even know how to use magic a couple of chapters back) due to his training with the dragons - which means some time must have past. And then, Andrielle kissing Dryden – where did that come from? Last but not least: Nymira, exhausted, and all of a sudden ending up dead with no explanation whatsoever? I could give you heaps of examples, but I guess you get the picture.

I feel bad for criticizing so harshly, because it is a good book. It’s just that it’s so easy to see the unexploited potential of what could have been one of the best classical fantasy books ever (and I’ve read my fair share)! Would I recommend reading this book? Yes, as long as you can live with the longing for what is not told. Will I read any sequels? Yes, definitely. This was (as far as I know) the author’s first book. And with this promising start, it’s bound to get better. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see that this guy has the skills to write amazing books. Give him some time and experience (and the patience to not only write the action-scenes!) and he’ll probably rise and shine.:)